Pet shop counters are full of many types of industrial ready-made professional cat food not homemade. Many of them, especially the line of economy and super-economy class products, can cause irreparable harm to the health of your furry pet.
Owners who sincerely want to see their pet happy for many years often think about preparing fresh food for cats at home. Sometimes this is pushed by the disease of the animal, in which eating dry food is prohibited. Not every owner can afford to purchase expensive high-quality dry or wet canned professional premium meals for a cat based on the latest technologies. Cheap food, richly flavored with artificial flavors, odor-enhancing colorants that attract the animal, can cause food addiction similar to drug addiction. In this article, we will look at what you can cook for your cat from homemade food.
Some owners immediately feed their pets with natural food, while others come to this later, having appreciated the benefits of this type of food. Products for this are almost always available in the refrigerator, they are much cheaper than ready-made commercial feed.
Many owners want to independently compose a healthy home menu, preferable for a sensitive cat’s stomach, without preservatives, sugar, chemicals, bones, reducing the risk of food poisoning, allergies, while you can always control the menu and pet diet.
Requirements for natural food
Dishes independently prepared by the owners of fluffy beauties will be useful, suitable for pets if certain rules are followed. You need to understand that a careless attitude to the issue of feeding can cause harm, lead to illness, and the death of a family friend. It is necessary to observe those nutritional norms that this individual is able to eat in nature. It is important to adhere to the following requirements:
- the daily diet of a cat should contain a sufficient amount of components of animal origin, fatty amino acids Omega 3 and 6;
- homemade cat food should be complete, balanced, taking into account the physiological natural needs, age, breed characteristics, activity, the sensitivity of the digestive organs, health status, gender, providing the animal with the necessary amount of energy. All this requires a certain amount of experience and analysis. It is worth developing a natural menu under the guidance of a veterinarian to carefully calculate the nutrients necessary for the cat, to obtain all the necessary elements in the diet;
- weighing of products, strict accounting of the volume of food The pet itself does not know how much meal it needs. Obesity, digestive, cardiac, and respiratory problems are often the result of this approach. The danger is both an oversupply and a deficiency of nutrients;
- homemade cat food must contain the necessary trace elements (necessarily phosphorus, calcium), including vitamins;
- the portion of feed must be completely eaten.
Nutritional needs of cats
In nature, cats lead a predatory lifestyle, feeding on birds, small rodents. Their jaws are able to tear off, gnaw off pieces of meat, but they swallow them completely, entirely, because do not have chewing teeth. Animals can eat food in pieces, eat chopped food, dishes in the form of pates, cereals.
For the feline family, like all other predatory animals, carbohydrate products are not recommended, they are not broken down in the stomach and are harmful. The preferences of a person and a cat are different, although pets can enjoy the owner’s favorite dish with pleasure. There are capricious individuals who are content with a certain type of food, indifferent to the rest.
Cats need food that is high in fat and protein, the latter cats need twice as much as dogs. The pet’s diet is carefully planned to take into account the feed intake. The nutritional formula for a cat is simple: half of the diet should be protein (meat), 1/4 of fiber – vegetables, 1/4 of carbohydrates – cereals.
Features of permitted natural food:
- the main part of the diet (more than 85%) should be meat: lean chicken, beef, rabbit meat, about 8% of body weight – up to 6 months of age, after a year – about 4%. Chicken requires careful introduction into the diet, as it has recently caused severe allergic reactions. The meat is served with scalded boiling water or boiled with the addition of vegetables, a few drops of vegetable oil. Pork is strictly prohibited;
- fish: seafood, low-fat varieties – once a week, in order to avoid urolithiasis, instead of raw meat, uncut or only boiled (hake, pollock, blue whiting, tuna) to prevent the occurrence of severe anemia, without bones. Mackerel, haddock, flounder, salmon, cod are allowed. Freshwater fish must be boiled to eliminate the problems associated with the defeat of cats by helminths, and the destruction of the harmful enzyme – thiaminase. It is not permissible to feed castrated cats and neutered females with fish products;
- fermented milk products: kefir, medium-fat cottage cheese, less than 5%. Milk cannot be added to the menu. Lactose is poorly absorbed by adult cats due to the lack of an enzyme – lactase, but pets carrying the product can be given boiled as a source of calcium intake. Cheese, cream, sour cream – heavy products for the pancreas;
- offal: liver (in raw form relaxes the intestines, in boiled – it binds together), kidneys, lungs, heart (contains a lot of taurines that cats need) – are served raw a couple of times a week. Not all cats are able to digest them. Loose stools, vomiting – a reason to refuse this meal;
- eggs – quail, chicken are allowed, as an independent dish and with the addition of fermented milk products. They contain a lot of biotins, which strengthens the coat;
- vegetables – almost everything is allowed, except for potatoes, cabbage, beets, fruits – except citrus fruits, bananas. You can combine several types or choose one product preferred by your animals. They are given raw, chopped, on a separate dish, or mixed with meat. Not absorbed, needed for good digestion;
- cereals and bran – useful for peristalsis, contribute to the maintenance of beneficial intestinal microflora. You can give porridge: rice, buckwheat, rolled oats;
- oils: olive, pumpkin, linseed – envelop the mucous membrane of the digestive system, normalize their work;
- greens harvested away from the city limits, sprouted rice or oats are given periodically.
A vegetarian diet, useful to humans, predators, is contraindicated, it negatively affects health, causing blindness, cardiac arrest, death, regardless of the addition of the necessary vitamins to food.
Kittens up to 2 weeks old are fed every 2 hours, a kitten aged 1 – 2 months – 5-6 feedings, a kitten 3 months – three to four times a day, six months – twice. Adult cats are left with their food uncleaned and can be allowed to eat as much as they want or feed 2-3 times a day. When several individuals are nearby in the house, it is necessary to ensure that they do not eat someone else’s food. Sterilized and castrated animals are fed once a day.
It is important to feed your cat food at the same time to develop a healthy diet. Meat, long-digestible food, is left for evening feeding. Constant access to food is not necessary to avoid overeating and obesity.
After eating, cats usually rest in secluded places, they should not be disturbed. In case of refusal to feed, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, fever, it is necessary to urgently seek help from a veterinarian.
The remains of food in the bowl do not leave for a long time – souring, spoilage of products can cause poisoning of the animal. The product that has not been eaten within an hour is thrown away.
How to train your cat to eat new food?
Cats quickly get used to a certain type of food, so they may refuse to innovate at first. Continue to offer a new diet to your pet, sometimes replacing it with a portion of completely familiar food, the animal will eventually become interested in the product.
You can begin to introduce the ingredient, gradually adding it to the usual feeding, replacing it completely after 1-2 weeks.
Self-compilation of a menu for cats begins in case of readiness to correctly calculate the number of necessary components, nutrients. If you are a busy person, travel a lot, or work, who can provide proper care and nutrition for your little friend?
An animal needs not only cooked but also raw or ready-made fresh food, supplying the body with important substances, amino acids, which are destroyed during heat treatment. In this case, the best solution would be to feed with industrial feed that can provide all the vital components.
How to cook cat food?
After studying the feline needs, you can begin to compose the menu for the cats. At the same time, it is important to maintain a balance, because when using nutrients in excess, the pet may develop serious health problems. This will take a lot of time and money. Feeding natural meals requires a competent approach. With such a vital question, it is better to seek help from a veterinarian.
Homemade cat food should be at room temperature or slightly warmed. Pieces are given in small: the cat eats quickly, large parts may not be digested, cause vomiting.
Better fit special bowls designed for cats, expanding to the bottom – they turn over and slide less. Their size accommodates a single portion of food, food does not crumble, does not smear on the walls, bottom. It is not recommended to use double containers simultaneously with water and feed: often food gets into liquid, the animal refuses to drink.
Natural food is convenient, allows you to control the weight of pets, the number of nutrients, mineral and vitamin supplements. But it requires the correct calculation of the daily rate, otherwise, the animal in the future will not avoid health problems. For different ages, the amount of food is individual.
How much cat food is needed?
From ten weeks, the baby can be weaned from the mother. Until he reaches the age of 9 months, he needs no more than 10% of his total body weight. For example, with a weight of 1.5 kg, a kitten needs 150 g of food. It can be meat, dairy products in a 50:50 ratio.
How much food does an adult cat need?
For a mature animal, the amount of feed is prepared at the rate of 5% of the pet’s weight. With a cat weighing 4 kg, the food needs 200 g, the composition is the same as that of babies: equal shares of meat and dairy products. You can mix some vegetables (10-15 grams) and a couple of drops of vegetable oil into your food.
It is not always possible to weigh an adult cat separately. You can do the following: stand on the floor scales with the animal, after subtracting your weight, as a result, the mass of the furry friend will remain.
Cats should have constant access to clean filtered water, it is important that the liquid is always in the field of view. Fluffy pets, like all mammals, need it. Often, cats prefer to drink from large, deep dishes: buckets, cans, ignoring small bowls.
A large dog bowl will serve as an ideal container: the water will stay clean for a long time, it is difficult to turn the dishes over. The cat regulates the amount of necessary liquid on its own, drinking the right amount. You need to monitor older animals, because constipation that appears may indicate a violation of the water balance. To get rid of intestinal problems and eliminate dehydration, cats are transferred to feeding on semi-liquid food.
Recipes for homemade cat dish
Cats are even more foodies than humans. This is facilitated by their origin and habits that have developed over the years. They quickly get bored of monotonous food, a change in diet is necessary at least a couple of times a week. If it is impossible to cook often, dishes for long-term storage are prepared.
What do cats eat from homemade food? It can be homemade dry food and minced meat distributed in portions, stored in the refrigerator.
How to prepare dry food?
This type of food is convenient to use, you can take it with you on the road, it does not take up much space. But cheap industrial feed contains a ton of dangerous chemicals that can kill an animal. High-quality food is not available to every feline owner. Therefore, dry food prepared with your own hands, created from high-quality natural products, dried to certain moisture content, will be an excellent substitute for expensive ready-made food. It is also convenient on the road, has a long shelf life. Almost all of the foods you can find at home can be used to make cat food. It all depends on the owner’s imagination and the pet’s taste preferences. The main thing is that it should be useful and have good taste. Cats are happy to eat this tasty, inexpensive food.
Recipe number 1:
- 500 g beef liver;
- carrots, cottage cheese 500 g each;
- eggs – 2 pcs;
- cottage cheese, zucchini, beets – 100g each.
The products are independently ground with a meat grinder, eggs are driven in, everything is mixed. The resulting minced meat is formed in the form of meatballs or cutlets, distributed on a sheet, sent to the oven for drying for 40-50 minutes. It is removed, after cooling, it breaks into small pieces.
Recipe number 2:
- 500 g liver;
- 500 g hearts;
- 1 kg chicken soup set;
- 2 carrots;
- 1 glass of boiled cereals (buckwheat, pearl barley, rice – you can alternate).
The meat is beaten off, finely chopped, ground together with hearts, liver, carrots using a food processor. The resulting pate is evenly laid out on a baking sheet or silicone sheet, baked, dried in the oven for 40 minutes. Cuts break into small pieces. Stored in the refrigerator for a long time.
Homemade natural cat dishes
These recipes will take a little time and effort, which is important for busy modern people. With the help of such dishes, your pets will always be well-fed and satisfied.
- chicken liver, beef;
- half a glass of oatmeal;
- frozen green peas;
- silent sunflower oil.
The liver is boiled or stewed. Oatmeal is boiled. Chopped liver is mixed with peas and oatmeal.
Chicken breast with vegetables and rice:
- half a cup of rice;
- 1 breast;
- 2 glasses of water.
Breast, rice is boiled. The meat is chopped, mixed with rice and grated carrots.
Diet for allergies:
- 2 cups minced lamb meat
- half a cup of zucchini or carrots;
- a glass of boiled dark rice;
- 50 g of cottage cheese;
- a quarter teaspoon of garlic powder.
Beat the ingredients with a blender, serve warm.
Examples of a cat’s food menu for the day
Cat food rations from cooked homemade food (based on the weight of the animal 4.5 kg).
- breakfast: 30 g of cottage cheese, 1 chicken egg, water;
- lunch: 40 g of cottage cheese, 30 g of chicken hearts, water;
- dinner: 70 g of rabbit meat, 40 g of cottage cheese, water.
- breakfast: 15 g of vegetables, 50 g of boiled fish;
- lunch: 20 g of kefir, 45 g of cottage cheese;
- dinner: 20 g of kefir, 70 g of lean meat.
# 3 (write to all techniques):
- 500 g of beef;
- 2 hard-boiled eggs;
- 1.5 – 2 cups rye crackers;
- chopped parsley.
The meat is boiled, ground with a meat grinder along with eggs, the ingredients are mixed with breadcrumbs, herbs, and immersed in boiling water for a couple of minutes. They are given to the cat half-baked.
What foods are dangerous to cats?
Before you go to the kitchen to prepare food for your pet, there are several factors to consider. Be aware that foods you like can be harmful to your feline.
Cats are not allowed:
- chocolate, products with cocoa beans – contain theobromine, which is toxic to animals;
- onions, garlic, grapes, raisins;
- tomatoes, eggplants;
- sugar, salt, soda, baking powder;
- sweets (sweets, cakes) cause diabetes mellitus, allergies;
- spices, spices;
- artificial sweeteners;
- tea, coffee, groceries, medicines from a human pharmacy containing caffeine;
- dog food (dry, wet) has a different composition:
- pork, lamb;
- bones, heads, tails, paws can cause intestinal obstruction, trauma to the digestive tract;
- semolina, millet, corn porridge – useless food;
- pasta, flour – cause obesity, constipation, colitis;
- remnants of human food (fried, smoked, baked);
- raw eggs;
- veterinarians do not recommend feeding cats with raw meat purchased in the markets, in stores – it often contains dangerous hormones, antibiotics;
- pickled vegetables, fruits;
- freshwater fish – the risk of infection with helminths;
- mushrooms – the feline body does not digest, does not produce enzymes that can break down them, the cat can even get poisoned with edible ones;
- nuts – are not digested, can cause a severe allergic reaction, up to and including respiratory arrest.
Feeding your pet with a natural menu requires a competent, attentive approach. It takes a lot of time, often a lot of financial resources, to provide the animal with a varied, balanced menu. A cat, just like us, cannot constantly eat the same product.
It is especially important to monitor the nutrition of those who have recovered from surgery, pregnant women, young animals, and animals suffering from chronic diseases. In such cases, it is best to check with your veterinarian or feline health professional to rule out hazardous foods. Sometimes even wholesome food is harmful if consumed in excessive quantities.
Before you sit down at the table yourself, you should feed the animal. A hungry cat is especially sensitive to the smells of human food, begins to beg for food, then eats with an increased appetite, which eventually causes obesity.
Be attentive to the pet’s behavior: an unsuitable product must be immediately excluded, replaced with another. If your family friend has a good appearance, it is vigorous, healthy, playful, then the diet is composed correctly. This means that the homemade food prepared with your own hands will give your pet good health, a long, happy life, and excellent health.