If cat owners decide to switch their pets from dry to natural type of food, this happens most often for the following reasons:
- pet health problems requiring refusal of this type of feeding;
- impossibility to provide high-quality, expensive, industrial dry products of premium, super-premium class;
- the desire to diversify the menu, maintain health, prolong the life of the cat by feeding it natural food that has not been treated with preservatives.
How to retrain correctly? How to transfer a cat to homemade food, because animals are not always ready to share the owner’s intentions and desperately resist innovations, refusing a new diet? Often, such voluntary fasting continues for a long time. The cat does not eat, at best it can sniff food, as a result, it loses weight, there are violations of the general condition, behavior, and appearance changes.
Why is it so difficult to wean a cat from ready-to-eat foods?
The composition of dry food, especially the line of economy-class products, includes a large number of attractants and additives – special ingredients designed to attract the animal, enhance the taste, smell of food, causing persistent addiction to such a diet. These components are mixed into all feed without exception, especially a lot of them in super-economy class products. Cats almost immediately become drug-addicted by eating such food.
The lack of useful components is hidden by manufacturers due to the introduction of such chemicals. They significantly worsen the condition of the teeth, hair of pets, damage the psyche, cause serious diseases, and allergic reactions.
The danger of dry food
Often the true composition of the product is hidden by the manufacturer. Poor quality food often causes many side effects:
- poisoning with chemicals: dyes and flavors;
- the development of urolithiasis due to an excess of salts as preservatives, especially dangerous for castrated cats;
- the occurrence of vitamin deficiency due to the lack of necessary vitamins and minerals;
- heart failure, allergic reactions;
- dysbiosis – the death of beneficial intestinal microflora, manifested by indigestion, metabolic disorders, skin and hair problems.
Transferring a cat to homemade food
You can continue to feed the animal with the usual food, mixing in a little different ingredient of another product, until the change completely occurs. The new type of feed should be given to the animal in small quantities, in small pieces, not different in size from the usual daily food. After 4-5 days, the volume of dry food is reduced to 50%, then the replacement occurs completely within 10-15 days.
If the pet prefers certain foods in addition to dry food, they are temporarily limited only to them, until the cat completely weaned from “drying”.
If it is difficult to determine the pet’s taste preferences, it is worth offering several different dishes by putting them in different bowls. The cat will choose and choose a new food, then the cat is completely transferred to homemade food.
There is such an option when the volume of ordinary food is cut down, and the animal, without full filling, is saturated with another product, domestic, located nearby with the main, ordinary food.
Usually, the refusal of a cat from new food plunges the owners into a panic – they worry that the pet is exhausted, sick, or dies. But the animal will not die of hunger if food is nearby, the path is even tasteless and unloved. Fears are unfounded, remember that you are acting for the good of your pet, the cat will accept, accept your conditions.
Is it possible to quickly transfer a cat to natural food, the cat lovers will tell you:
- The addition of catnip contributes to a more rapid addiction to a new food, over time, the feeding is stopped, the animal gradually gets used to the food;
- several pieces of dry food are put on the meat to give the usual smell, deceiving the cat;
- probiotics are useful during the transition – feeding with dry food impairs peristalsis, lactobacilli improve the digestion process, the microflora is updated, adaptation is easier;
- during the transfer to natural food, vitamins are recommended;
- a bowl of food is removed after 15-20 minutes, regardless of whether there is food left in it or not.
Diet for home feeding
The main product for this type of food is meat, about 80%. The rest is cereals, vitamins, vegetable supplements. Natural feeding requires an accurate calculation of the daily intake of food, the idea that the cat itself knows how much she needs to eat is wrong. Often, fluffy beauties, not knowing the measure, devouring delicious foods by both cheeks, gain excess weight, heart, and respiratory problems. Different ages are taken into account when drawing up the everyday menu.
How to calculate a kitten’s nutritional norm?
Two and a half months is the age for weaning the baby from the mother. Before the onset of nine months, the kitten should receive food no more than 10% of its weight. With a weight of 2000 g, the mass of a daily portion is 200 g. 50% is meat food, 50% is fish products.
How to calculate the amount of food per day for an adult cat?
An adult animal needs only 5% of its weight. With an animal weighing 5 kg – 250 g of natural food, consisting of equal parts of fermented milk and meat products. Allowed 20 g of vegetables and a few drops of vegetable oil. Active pets, spending a lot of energy, are given more food, inactive, obese, elderly – need less.
What can you give your cat?
The main components of natural feline nutrition are:
- fish is a favorite product of fluffy beauties, sea varieties are recommended, both raw and boiled. Boiled fish should be cleaned of bones, easily separated from the pulp, they can be swallowed unchewed or stuck in the esophagus;
- meat – lean chicken, beef, lamb, rabbit meat, horse meat scalded with boiling water is allowed. Pork is banned;
- by-products – liver, lungs, heart, kidneys – are introduced into the diet 2 times a week – nutritional value, their usefulness is low. With signs of poor digestion: vomiting, diarrhea – by-products are excluded from the animal’s menu;
- fermented milk products – kefir, cottage cheese, medium-fat starter cultures. Low-fat causes stool upset. Cats do not tolerate milk well – the number of enzymes that break down lactose decreases with age;
- vegetables – any are allowed: cabbage, carrots, peppers, pumpkin. A combination is possible. They are given in a chopped raw form, can be mixed with meat. Potatoes – excluded;
- eggs – chicken, quail are suitable. Yolk, protein are mixed. They are given separately or with kefir, cottage cheese.
A pet’s illness, a previous operation is a reason for contacting a veterinarian to correct the animal’s nutrition.
Chicken necks have proven themselves well for the natural feeding of cats. They are prepared as follows: they are rolled twice through a meat grinder to grind hard bones, a little boiled rice or buckwheat, grated carrots are added. Mix.
Natural Food – Natural healthy food for your feline. With good care, a kind attitude, a positive attitude of the owners, a well-designed feeding ratio, the animal will be healthy, happy, and will live a long full life next to the owners.