It is possible to feed a kitten on your own. The main thing is to get the right mixture or learn how to cook for the animal, as well as choose the right bottle for the orphan’s breakfast.
How to take care of a kitten?
Nursing a newborn kitten without a mom cat is not an easy task, but it can be done.
You have to fulfill several conditions for the successful upbringing of a kitten at home:
- Find a mixture that looks like mother cat’s milk;
- Observe the temperature regime (food temperature – 36-38 degrees);
- Keep the cat warm, from 25 to 30 o C and wipe it after feeding;
- Follow the signals of the kitten’s body. Diarrhea, constipation, or nausea in the person concerned indicates that the mixture is not suitable.
There are many cases when a cat dies during childbirth. It happens that she refuses offspring. Nervous cats sometimes show no interest in offspring, are apathetic or aggressive. It is almost impossible to force a mustachioed obstinate to feed kittens, and even dangerous for babies.
If the mother cat does not have the strength or patience to feed the babies, you can try to find a replacement for her among the neighbors. Another good news: a miniature dog will cope with the role of a nurse. The maternal instinct will work in such a way that someone else’s animal will start to take care of the little cat. Even a cat is suitable for custody because, in addition to food, the kitten will have to provide warmth and hygiene. Before entrusting an orphan with a four-legged teacher, make sure that she has no infectious diseases. It is not necessary to enclose a kitten in unvaccinated cats, and it is also important to carry out prophylaxis against worms.
Suppose the nanny was found. But it may turn out that she does not feed the reception well, gets annoyed at the sight of a stranger. Perhaps the lactating cat lacks experience. In this case, it would be better for you to take the kitten away from sin. Every veterinary pharmacy abounds in mixtures for crumbs.
Basic rules of care and feeding kitten’s
Small kittens are very vulnerable. Half-bald, eternally freezing creatures with closed eyes and ears die unattended. In order for the pet to survive, the owner must be right with the choice of the mixture.
A strong squeak and an instinctive search for a nipple is a signal that a defenseless pet needs food. It is undesirable to give cow or goat milk, and solid food is categorically contraindicated for him. If the kitten turns away from the nipple, he is already full.
In the first few days after birth, the kitten drinks colostrum from the mother’s nipples. It contains valuable ingredients that help build the fluffy’s immune system.
From the factory mixes are considered the best:
- Kathenmilch. The mixture of this brand contains lactose. It will not interfere with the weak animal that was recently born.
- Royal Canin (Babycat milk). The product is a quality substitute for cat milk.
- Hartz. The owners are grateful to Hartz food for the fact that it rarely causes allergies.
The food packaging comes with a bottle specially designed for snacks. It is usually advised to dilute purchased mixtures with a little more water than indicated in the instructions. This will help the kitten avoid constipation. The mixture should cool to body temperature or be slightly warmer.
For an orphan to feel comfortable, it is important both food and the right place to rest.
You have to equip a warm and soft bedroom for the animal. Such a pet bedroom can be a plastic box. A cardboard house will not be cozy for a small sensitive kitten. The material quickly gets wet, as a result of which the animal runs the risk of catching a cold.
In the first twenty days of life, a four-legged kitten feels bad without a fever. To create a warm climate in the nest, you can use an infrared lamp. A weekly reception will feel comfortable at a temperature of thirty-two degrees. On the fourteenth – fifteenth day, the temperature in the nest can be reduced.
Choice of dishes
An inexperienced person can make gross mistakes when feeding a four-legged orphan. When offering your pet a factory-made formula, it is not advisable to use a bottle intended for infants. A bottle from a pet store is ideal. It is possible to use a children’s accessory, provided that the hole is tiny. Before offering a treat to an animal, lower the bottle with the nipple down, gently press. The white matter should drip slowly from the hole. If it pours out even before pressing the bottle, the hole is wider than necessary. It is risky to use such “tricky” dishes. Otherwise, the little kitten is in danger of choking.
Some breeders use a pipette to feed their pets. Take the risk of following their example. Sometimes housewives inject liquid into the mouth of the animal with a syringe.
To protect the kitten from an intestinal infection, the owner must wash the nipple after each feeding, then pour boiling water over it.
The “Infant” diet is relevant for the animal in the first weeks of life. At 2 months old, a strengthened pet is allowed to give beef, chicken, low-fat cottage cheese, boiled vegetables.
Homemade mixtures for newborn kittens
Quick delicacies from well-known brands will surely please your pet. But the cost of these products “hits” a person’s wallet. Thinking about how to feed a kitten, people of modest income opt for homemade high-calorie drugs.
Here are some popular recipes for cat milk substitutes:
- The sweet substance with vitamins. To prepare the mixture, you will need a quarter cup of cow’s milk, a teaspoon of powdered milk, and a gram of vitamin supplements. A few drops of glucose will enhance the nutritional quality of the product. It is necessary to give such a treat to an animal in a heated form.
- Liquid delicacy. You will need condensed milk without the sugar and boiled water. Ingredients are taken in a 5: 1 ratio. The above components are mixed. Egg yolk completes the dairy “composition”.
- Life-saving “cocktail“. With this mixture, veterinarians advise feeding a weak kitten that barely audibly squeaks, trembles, looks emaciated. Prepare one hundred grams of full-fat milk, raw yolk, a tablespoon of a five percent glucose solution. The invigorating potion is heated (not much).
- Universal solution. The guardian will need two hundred grams of milk, two raw yolks, five grams of vegetable oil (we mean an unrefined product).
Protein constituents should be varied. If possible, starting from the age of one month, spoil the little kittens with quail eggs twice a month. They contain many trace elements. These substances normalize the activity of the endocrine system of a young cat.
You can prepare the mixture yourself, but we do not recommend doing this: the mixture must be fresh, and any kitten eats often. Cooking homemade mixtures at night, according to a recipe, to the loud squeak of a hungry cat is not the best pleasure.
Another way out is to give the kitten a cereal-free infant formula. Such a mixture can be diluted with goat’s milk, but it is not advised to take a cow for this.
So, the owner decided what to feed the kitten. Now he needs to get the hang of feeding him so as not to make things worse. As with human cubs, kitten bottles need to be sterilized for 10-15 minutes and hands should be washed before feeding.
Let’s describe in stages how the feeding takes place:
- The kitten is lying on its stomach.
- A bottle is brought to him at an angle of 45 degrees.
- Gently squeeze a drop of milk content onto his lips. For additional stimulation of the swallowing reflex, you can rub the lips of the animal with a finger dipped in a fragrant delicacy.
- Gently part the kitten’s lips with the nipple.
- When the hunger takes its toll, and the kitten begins to suck, the owner makes sure that he does not choke. Under no circumstances should you press on the bottle or force-feed the kitten.
- After feeding, you can hold the pet upright a little and stroke the tummy so that it burps up.
To understand whether a pet is full is simple: a quiet purr is the best confirmation of satiety. After feeding, be sure to rub the pet’s ass with a damp warm cotton swab. This stimulates him to urinate and resembles licking a cat.
Feeding your baby
If you are going to leave a kitten without the participation of a cat, you clearly realize the next few weeks you will have to be a cook, protector, friend to the purring “street child”.
Recall how many dinners and afternoon snacks will suit the crumb:
- Up to 14 days, feeding every 2 – 3 hours is a must. It is absolutely impossible to refuse night feeding. To maintain vital functions, the body of a kitten needs sweet food. It doesn’t matter if it’s dark or light outside the window. When offering the kitten food at midnight, make sure that the contents of the pipette do not get into his respiratory tract.
- At 4 weeks, the number of snacks is reduced to four times a day.
Fans of manufactured products will find their best option.
When the animal reaches one month of age, it can be fed regular cat food or kitten food. But for up to three months, it is recommended to grind solid homemade food with a blender. By introducing a month-old healthy kitten to meat, you can breathe more calmly.
Servings and calendar
A hungry pet makes it clear about the problem with a squeak, after eating it, it quietly purrs. You can rely on pet signals, but it is better to calculate the feed portions in advance. During the first 7 days, the optimal dose is considered to be 30 milliliters of the mixture per 100 grams of your kitten’s weight. Starting from the fifteenth day, a different norm is relevant: 35 ml. From 3 weeks, you can feed your pet 40 milliliters of the mixture. Seven days later, the daily dose increases slightly. It is already possible to introduce baby meat purees into the diet of a month-old kitten.
When the kitten is unwell
Sometimes the crumb refuses the contents of the bottle. It is useful to analyze the quality of the food. Consider whether the treatment is being stored properly. It is permissible to keep the finished balanced product in the refrigerator for no more than twenty-six hours. Having chosen one brand of feed, do not rush to refuse it. A less expensive or more popular pack of goodies can be disappointing.
When deciding what to feed kittens, be aware of the insidious adversity called “allergies”. Bright pink areas appeared on the body, while the appetite has completely disappeared? Surely the body reacted too violently to food components. This often happens to babies.
A pet one and a half to two months? So, it’s time for him to benefit from different types of food: minced meat, soups, vegetables. With caution, it is worth introducing the animal to sea fish, cottage cheese. Sausages, bacon, bread are more harmful and likely to cause indigestion. Chocolate, goose, and duck meat, salt is strictly prohibited. It is undesirable to give milk.
It may not be easy to feed a newborn kitten yourself, but growing up, the pet becomes attached to a person, as no cat can become attached. We wish you good luck and patience.